Katy is a Managing Director based in our Hong Kong office. She has 20 years of experience in leading financial investigations related to assets misappropriation, misstatement of financial accounts, bribery and corruption, employee fraud and misconduct for financial institutions, local conglomerate, corporates in private sector, and listed multinational companies across a variety of industries and jurisdictions in the Asia Pacific. She also assists clients from different industries in Anti-bribery and corruption (“ABC”) compliance programme evaluation and enhancement, and fraud risk management framework assessment and enhancement.
Katy’s recent assignments include:
- Assisting a world-leading protective coatings global company to conduct an investigation into the alleged briberies being provided to its customers and agents in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Singapore;
- Assisting one of the sizable local asset management companies in investigating into allegations relating to its portfolio manager entering into investments that were not in line with the fund’s stated objectives, investment restrictions and guidelines;
- Performing an internal fact-finding exercise for a quasi-public institution funded by the government in response to various allegations of management misconduct such as bypassing vendor selection and procurement policies and procedures and unauthorised setting up and usage of promotion funds;
- Assisting a global manufacturer of luggage and travel accessories to investigate into allegations of the existence of a number of contracts its local subsidiaries had entered into with various questionable distributors and quantify the potential financial impact to the group;
- Providing assistance to legal advisors in shareholder dispute cases involving various prominent businessmen/companies, scope of work includes reviewing vast amount of financial documents in relation to the group/family assets and assessing their completeness and truthfulness, identifying indicators of misappropriation of funds or mismanagement;
- Assisting one of the largest banking and financial services organisations to carry out ABC risk assessments in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Indonesia;
- Assisting a large Asian insurance group headquartered in HK to conduct a review of its ABC framework and provide recommendations for improvements;
- Assisting a number of prominent charitable organisations / funds to review processes including grants selection and approval, conflict of interest declaration, payments to grantees and monitoring of projects carried out by the grantees, and identify irregularities and control deficiencies for improvements;
- Conducting independent assessment of the fraud risk management framework for two virtual banks in Hong Kong, areas of assessment included governance and oversight, general controls the banks have in place to mitigate various types of fraud risks;
- Assisting various major private equity firms in conducting ABC due diligence on their acquisition targets in Southern China and Hong Kong.
Prior to joining Borrelli Walsh, Katy was a Partner and Head of Forensic at KPMG Hong Kong. She regularly speaks on forensic related topics at business events such as Directors’ training, Chief Financial Officer and Independent Non-Executive Directors forums.
Katy speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Professional Affiliations and Academic Qualifications
- Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Bachelor of Economics and Social Studies, University of Manchester